Swedish Friends make the right business move to Spain! Matkassen Fika, La Zenia, Costa Blanca Like most business people in the area we enjoy seeing other businesses become a success and that’s exactly what we are seeing with Niclas and Pia Andersén, owners of the successful Matkassen Café in La Zenia. We are even happier with this café as it is next door to our Malaquita office, just down from the Notary and Bassus. We needed somewhere we could just drop in and have a very decent coffee, (we like our coffee) and Niclas and Pia Andersén have certainly provided us with that. For the non-Swedish readers of this blog, Matkassen means shopping basket and fika means a coffee with something like a cinnamon stick, a cake, a compliment to the coffee. It is also the name of the newest (possibly the only) Swedish café in La Zenia. Opened in April 2015, Matkassen has already built up a regular clientele serving Scandanavians and the rest of us too!! They boast an extensive menu and also have a small shop stocking popular Scandinavian products, in Winter opening as late as 9pm. The most proven popular dish according to Niclas, so far is their prawn mix with potatoes or salad. And their Brazilian coffee is proving to be a hit. We can confirm that both are very good. Every Thursday they do a traditional meal that Swedish people always have on that day of the week, kind of like the English and their Sunday roasts, which consists of pea soup with pancakes for dessert. Business is good and in the future they want to branch out to Home Deliveries for the locals in the area with a few bits and pieces from their Swedish shop. As Winter is almost upon us, the Swedish who go home for the Summer are on their way back and we look forward to seeing them in La Zenia enjoying the friendly service, great location and local feel of the Matkassen café. But wait, there is more…. Textile Business: EKELUND
- It is no wonder that Pia Andersén opened a business in Spain when you consider her family history. Her family have been involved with Ekelund textiles for generations, all the way back to 1692. Master weavers from Sweden, using Swedish materials, Ekelund have a quality like no other and are unique in style.
- What’s more- they are now available in the Matkassen Café in La Zenia.
- Ekelund have agents in a lot of countries advertising the collection, with the main factory being in Sweden They have catalogues in the café, where you can make an order and it will take just a week to arrive to your home in Spain.
- There are beautiful tea towels, ranging from 12 euros up to 18 euros. They also do a range of plates, ornaments, cutlery, napkins, along with cushion covers, table cloths and carpets.
- Niclas and Pia Andersén are happy with their business and have no plans to open any more shops or cafés, they are happy doing it from their one location and we are very happy to have them as our neighbours in La Zenia.